Arthritis Caused by Your Job in Pennsylvania, Attorneys Discuss
When someone suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, their immune system is causing painful and chronic inflammation in the joints in different parts of the body, including:
Why does it? Maybe it’s your job!
While the cause of rheumatoid arthritis is commonly linked to genetic predisposition, new research finds a correlation between sufferers and their jobs, according to Anna Ilar, a doctoral student at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm who published the study “Arthritis Care & Research.”
The study, which took into account lifestyle factors ranging from body fat to alcohol use, found:
- Men in manufacturing jobs had a higher risk than men in professional, administrative and technical positions. The risk was twice as high for electrical and electronics workers, and three times higher for bricklayers and concrete workers.
- Women who worked as assistant nurses and attendants had a slightly higher risk, but not women in manufacturing jobs. Researchers believe that's because fewer women work in manufacturing.
Health24 offers tips for combating arthritis:
- Early diagnosis and treatment.
- Exercise and physiotherapy to manage symptoms.
- Medication, along with Omega-2 and -6 supplements, to manage pain and inflammation.
What if the pain interferes with quality of life?
About one in five adults suffers from arthritis. In the worst cases, rheumatoid arthritis can make it impossible to enjoy a normal everyday life. If the source of your arthritis is linked to your job, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. That’s the good news.
The bad news? The workers’ compensation system in Pennsylvania is complicated. Just like you need a medical professional to deal with your health issues, you need an expert to help secure the workers’ compensation benefits you legally deserve. At Vellner Law, P.C., we have been helping people just like you since 1991. We serve clients throughout the Lehigh Valley area, with offices in Bethlehem and Allentown.
Contact them for a free consultation with a skilled workers’ compensation and disability attorney. We will work tirelessly on your behalf to help you receive the benefits that you and your family need to survive despite opposition from your employer or an insurance company.