What are common construction accidents?
There are many different types of construction accidents. Many accidents involve working with heavy equipment, including excavators, backhoes, and forklifts. Other times, construction accidents involve smaller pieces of equipment, including nail guns, drills, and saws.
In the United States, the four most common causes of fatal construction accidents are known as the “fatal four.” These accidents are:
- Caught in between objects
- Fall from a height (including falling from scaffolding)
- Struck by an object (including falling debris)
There many other common construction accidents, including:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Trench collapses
- Machinery accidents
- Construction accidents involving vehicles
Even driving to or from a construction site can be dangerous. Car accidents involving construction workers are common.
What are common causes of construction accidents?
There are many reasons why construction accidents happen. While every construction accident is unique, there are often some similarities and common causes of construction accidents, including:
- Unmarked hazards
- Unsafe working conditions
- Inexperienced construction workers
- Untrained construction workers
- Defective construction equipment
- Fatigue (tired construction workers often cause accidents)
- Distraction (distracted construction workers can be dangerous)
What should I do If I’m injured?
Here are the steps that injured workers need to take if they’re injured in an accident:
- See a doctor ASAP to make sure any immediate medical concerns are addressed.
- Report the injury to a manager and mark down when it was reported.
- Gather contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, equipment that was involved, and your injury.
- Contact a workers’ compensation lawyer.
How much is my case worth?
Injuries sustained on construction sites can be life-altering. When medical expenses pile up, that can have a significant impact on injured workers and their families. Each case is different, however. Determining the value of your case without knowing the specifics can be challenging. There are many factors covering a wide range that can contribute to a construction site accident. A workers’ compensation lawyer can answer your questions about a possible lawsuit.
How can a lawyer help me?
Construction accidents often occur because construction companies fail to take steps to protect construction workers. In many cases, construction companies refuse to admit they did anything wrong. Their insurance companies have lawyers who will reach out to injured victims and try to discredit their claims. In general, injured workers who have legal representation recover more compensation than those that don’t hire a lawyer.
At Vellner Law, PC, we believe whoever caused your accident should be held responsible for their actions. In order to achieve that goal, we work tirelessly on every case. And that starts with taking the time to listen to you and find out exactly what happened.
We will then explain all the legal options available to you and get straight to work finding the evidence you need to build a strong, legal case. Find out how we can help you. Contact our law firm and schedule your free consultation right now.